Ongoing Front of House Restaurant Workforce Management :
The Star Sydney Signature Restaurants
Labour Hire, Recruitment Process Outsourcing, Hospitality Payroll Outsourcing, HR Outsourcing, Hospitality Workforce Management Services.
In March 2011, as part of an overall $870M redevelopment project, The Star Entertainment Group (formerly ECHO Entertainment) went to tender specifically for the supply of specialised labour hire, payroll and HR outsourcing services for The Star Sydney's Signature restaurants and nightclub.
After a thorough tender process, and up against some of Australia's leading hospitality recruitment & event staff agencies, BENCHMARQUE was awarded the contract. Our team won this business after not only demonstrating our online and technical capabilities but for our team’s innate understanding of the profile of candidates The Star Sydney was seeking. In addition, were also credited with the proven ability to network in the hospitality industry and identify unique skills and talented people.
THE STAR SIGNATURE RESTAURANTS
Project 1: Balla & BLACK Bar & Grill
Balla was a modern interpretation of traditional Italian cuisine, headed up by Head Chef Gabriele Taddeucci. With its stunning views over Sydney Harbour, the Aperitivi Bar provided another great reason to visit Balla other than purely a dining experience. (Balla closed its doors in August 2018 to make way for the exciting relaunch of Flying Fish).
BLACK Bar & Grill is a sleek and stylish dining experience. Its menu represents the finest steakhouse cuisine inspired by contemporary Australia and its seasonal produce.
Project Kick-Off: 20th June 2011
Preopening: Monday 22nd August 2011
Public Opening: Thursday 15th September 2011
Project Targets: BALLA: 22 staff | BLACK: 30 staff | Total: 52 on-hire labour employees
Hospitality positions required to hire; Host/Cashier, Wine Wait Staff, Section Wait Staff, Bus Person, Bar Attendant
Project 2: Momofuku Seiōbo & Sokyo
Momofuku Seiōbo is David Chang’s first restaurant outside New York City, and his restaurants have gained worldwide recognition for its innovative take on food and service while supporting local, sustainable and responsible farmers and food purveyors. Chang has been called “a chef who went further than any of his peers in wedding serious sometimes challenging food and ultra-casual, spontaneous dining ethos in tune with unbound times” (Frank Bruni, former New York Times Restaurant Critic).
Sokyo Located within The Star’s new 5-star boutique hotel, The Darling. Where the buzz of Tokyo meets a Sydney beat. The menu at Sokyo is a union of traditional craftsmanship with an innovative take on contemporary flavours. Headed by Chase Kojima, formerly of the Nobu empire, Sokyo features a sushi bar, a Cocktail Bar and two private dining rooms.
Project Kick-Off: 10th August 2011
Preopening: 4th October 2011
Public Opening: 28th October 2011
Project Targets: Momofuku: 8 staff | Sokyo: 32 staff | Total: 40 on-hire labour employees
Hospitality positions required to hire: Host/Cashier, Cocktail Waitress, Wine Wait Staff, Section Wait Staff, Bus Person, Bar Attendant, Bar Porter
Project 3: Flying Fish
Flying Fish opened its doors on Jones Bay Wharf in 2004. After 14 years at the forefront of Sydney's dining scene, the time came for Flying Fish to evolve. Flying Fish has grown up and moved into its new home led by Executive Chef, Peter Robertson. The new menu showcases the very best produce from Australian and New Zealand waters with an emphasis on minimal waste.
Project Kick-Off: 21st October 2018
Preopening: 7th December 2018
Public Opening: 12th December 2018
Project Targets: Flying Fish: 30 staff | Shortlisted 82 labour employees; interviewed 56
Hospitality positions required to hire: Host/Cashier, Wine Wait Staff, Section Wait Staff, Bus Person, Bar Attendant
What we did:
In July 2011, our growing team relocated our head office to accommodate an expanding workforce, infrastructure, technology and systems to support The Star’s multiple and overlapping recruitment projects.
The Star Entertainment Group vested a great amount of faith in our business, charged with the significant responsibility of delivering a large number of candidates with specific skills and experience. We were required to develop job descriptions, manage job advertisements, screen several thousand applications, arrange and conduct internal interviews before presenting selected candidates for interviews with The Star Sydney's food and beverage management teams.
Each outlet and recruitment project required specific marketing & advertising strategies and aside from traditional recruitment advertising and application methods. Our team succeeded through utilising our vast network of contacts and proactive search tactics.
Ongoing, our business remains responsible for the entire recruitment and selection process, payroll outsourcing, human resources and scheduling function for 300+ staff at The Star Sydney, approximately 90 of those working within the Signature Restaurants. We also work in close collaboration with The Star to streamline onboarding systems, develop talent, manage individual employee performance and introduce innovative employee retention initiatives. Many staff who began as casual workers presented by our business have now received promotions to full-time permanent positions across the hospitality venues at The Star Sydney.
We take great pride in acknowledging and sharing in the success each outlet has achieved.
You could say the results speak for themselves.
BLACK Bar & Grill
- RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR (Deluxe Hotels), Tourism Accommodation Australia (NSW) Awards for Excellence 2018
- CHEF OF THE YEAR, Tourism Accommodation Australia (TAA) 2017
- THREE GOBLETS, Gourmet Traveller Wine List of the Year 2015, 2016, and 2017
- BAR OF THE YEAR NSW, Tourism Accommodation Australia (TAA) 2015
- CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE, TripAdvisor 2015
- ONE CHEF’S HAT, SMH Good Food Guide 2014, 2015
- AWARD OF EXCELLENCE, Wine Spectator 2014
- ONE CHEF'S HAT - SMH Good Food Guide 2013, 2014 & 2015
- BEST NEW RESTAURANTS OF 2012: Hot tables - Conde Nast Traveller
- THREE GLASSES - Gourmet Traveller Wine List of the Year Awards 2012
- BEST INTERNATIONAL HOTEL RESTAURANT WINE LIST est International Hotel Restaurant Wine List - Gourmet Traveller Wine List of the Year Awards 2012
- Best of Award - Wine Spectator Restaurant Wine List Awards 2012
- ONE CHEF’S HAT - Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2019
- ONE STAR - Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Guide Awards 2019
- THREE GOBLETS - Gourmet Traveller Wine List of the Year 2017
- AUSTRALIA’S TOP 100 RESTAURANTS - Australian Financial Review 2015, 2016, & 2018
- TWO GOBLETS, Gourmet Traveller Wine List Of The Year 2015 & 2016
- CHEF OF THE YEAR NSW AND AUSTRALIA - Tourism Accommodation Australia Awards for Excellence 2015
- AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - Wine Spectator 2015
- ONE STAR - Gourmet Traveller 2015
- CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE - Tripadvisor 2015
- THREE CHEF'S HATS - Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Awards 2019
- NO. 2 RESTAURANT IN AUSTRALIA - Gourmet Traveller Australian Restaurant Awards 2019
- BEST FINE DINING RESTAURANT, Time Out Sydney Food Awards 2016
- TWO CHEF'S HATS, Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Awards 2016, 2017, & 2018
- RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR, Gourmet Traveller Australian Australian Restaurant Guide 2014 & 2016
- METROPOLITAN RESTAURANT OF THE YEAR, Tourism Accommodation Australia (TAA) NSW Awards of Excellence 2016
- AUSTRALIA’S TOP 100 RESTAURANTS, Australian Financial Review 2015 & 2016
- BEST RESTAURANT BAR, Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2015
- THREE STARS, Gourmet Traveller Australian Restaurant Guide 2015 & 2019
- THREE GLASSES, Gourmet Traveller Australian Restaurant Guide 2015
- TOP THREE FOR DINING EXPERIENCES, Gourmet Traveller Australian Restaurant Guide 2015
- THREE GOBLETS, Gourmet Traveller Wine List Of The Year 2015